I had two questions for my husband after I returned to the living room from an epic toddler-teething-molars nap near the end of the first quarter – why does WVU only have 24 points and how the hell did Maryland score 14 points? Yeah, yeah I know it ended up being a win (final score was WVU 31, Maryland 21), and thanks to Oklahoma losing to Kansas State, we’re now leading the Big 12, but… still. We should not be having this much trouble handling teams that aren’t very good.
- Tavon Austin. He was on fire. 13 catches, 3 touchdowns. And making his amazing performance even sweeter? Being from Baltimore, he was playing against his “home team”. I love it when good players choose WVU over their home team. (I’m looking at you, too, Will Clarke).
- Geno Smith. Despite being put under lots of pressure (more on that later) he still finished with 338 yards and 3 touchdowns, and no interceptions/turnovers. In fact, he hasn’t thrown a single interception this season.
- Oh man, I love it when coaches get all passionate. To be fair,
Captain WeaverDana Holgorsen did have plenty of things to be irate about, and he took it out on his players, his headset, and anyone who looked at him sideways. Related: that traitor Rich Rodriguez’s tempter tantrums during Oregon’s crushing defeat of Arizona were a thing of beauty.
- Shawne Alston’s thigh bruise. I think the answer to my “why do we only have 24 points in the first half” question is right here – our leading rusher hardly played at all. I hope he is healed and ready to go next week.
- The offensive line. Seriously, where were you guys? Geno got sacked twice, hit more times than I could count, and there was some limping that greatly displeased me. We need him to be ready to go, too. Playtime is over kids, we have a conference game next week.
- Stefon Diggs. Hey, WVU defense? You see that guy dressed in white running past you really fast with the football? It’s your job to stop him.
- The defense. Sweet Jesus, you guys are killing me. What are you doing out there? Playing on twitter? Reading books? Do you need glasses in order to see the ball-carrier before he gets to the end zone? I started making tally marks of all the missed tackles, but I had to stop because it was making me cathyhulksmash angry. Please, please, I am begging you on my hands and knees, figure out what is wrong and fix it.
Oh, and apparently we’re already making bowl predictions. Check out the Fiesta Bowl prediction. I’m equal parts thrilled that they expect WVU to win the Big 12, and concerned for my marriage.