After a nearly 4 month break from Oregon Football, our Ducks are finally returning to Autzen!
This Saturday at 11am, the Ducks will hold their annual Spring Game- a final scrimmage culminating all their Spring practice efforts. The game will last just about 2 hours, but will give Duck fans a scrumptious morsel to tie them over until the fall! You may be asking yourself, “What’s the point of going to watch the Ducks play against themselves?” Don’t worry, even my best guy friends have asked the same thing (Yes, I pulled their MAN card). So to help inspire you, I’ve put together a few reasons why you should definitely load up the fam and head to Autzen.
1. It’s FREE with a donation of 3 can’s of food per person.With the rising ticket prices, when was the last time the whole fam attended a Duck game. This is a perfect opportunity that won’t break the bank!
2. It’s kid friendly. Whereas your kids might be exposed to a couple dozen profanities, or drunkards being pulled out by EPD in the fall, the Spring Game is generally very relaxed and kid friendly- especially since it begins at 11am. A mom’s gotta love that! No “Ear Muffs” needed.
3. The game will only last about 2 hours– about 1/2 the amount of time a regular game. If you want to experience Autzen, but tend to fall asleep around halftime, this is the event for you!
4. You can work on your tan. The sun will be shining- a rare event in Oregon- and you might as well take advantage of the opportunity to get your pre- Summer tan on!
5. The post-game ceremony should be awesome! The Spring Game will honor members of the US military. Following the game, service members and players will line up, facing each other. They will then meet in the middle of the field, where they will exchange jersey’s for Challenge Coins.
6. We will finally get a glimpse of what this group of Ducks has to offer. Spring practice has been closed to the public and media, so this will be the first time we will all see just what are Ducks are workin’ with.
7. It’s a good excuse to wear your Duck gear. Let’s face it, Oregon fans love their gear- ALL year long. Who want’s to lose out on an opportunity to wear their “I Love My Ducks” shirt?
8. You’ll get to see new talent! Last year about this time, no one really knew who Marcus Mariota was. All it took was a little Spring scrimmage to change all of that and turn him into “Duck Nation’s Newest Heart Throb.” Impress all the men in your life by learning the names of some of the younger guys….eventually they too will be household names.
9. Another Quarterback battle starts now. The Spring Game is used to help coaches determine who will start in certain positions. It’s not the only test, but is a factor. Last year, the starting QB was the main headline. This year, it’ll be the back-up Quarterback position. That may not sound glamorous, but in Oregon, it is. As much as we’d all be devastated if Marcus was injured, Oregon’s system makes Quarterbacks very vulnerable- making the back up position VERY important. This year, Jeff Lokie and Jake Rodriquez will duke it out. If you get bored, focus on those guys (they’ll be wearing red jerseys) and play “coach for the day”. Personally, I’m leaning toward Rodriquez.
10. It’s what REAL Duck fans do. Although it isn’t a “real” game, it’s time to show your true Duck spirit- just ask Alabama fans. Each year, 80,000 + Crimson Tide fans pour into their stadium for “A-Day”. I know the south is a bit crazy about their football, but a UO gridirongirl can dream right?
For all the game day details, click here.
See ya there and Go Ducks!!!