Hey there, football fans! Let’s talk about the other games this weekend, aside from the highly-anticipated battle between Texas and BYU. If you’ve read thblog for awhile, you’re familiar with my encouragement to pick out a second, third, fourth team to follow. Moar football! Moar football! It expands your horizons, exposes you to other conferences, and it also allows you to fill an entire Saturday with fabulous football if you so choose.
I plan to post these on the regular, so without further ado, let’s talk about our #2s for this week!
All schedule info from ESPN.com. All times are Eastern. You can do the math; you know where you live.
- No. 2 Oregon at Virginia, game time 3:30 p.m., ABC/ESPN2. What will the Ducks do in their second game? They are playing on the road, without their fervent fan base. This is my top pick for #2 game of the weekend.
- No. 12 Florida at Miami (FL), 12:00 noon, ESPN. We can hope both teams fall into a hole.
- No. 13 Oklahoma State at UTSA, 12:00 noon, FOX Sports 1. Okie State is looking good this year, and it’s always nice to see the competish in action.
- San Diego State at No. 3 Ohio State, 3:30 p.m., ABC/ESPN2. Check coverage areas for this and the Oregon game as they are airing at the same time. People are either rooting for OSU to win or fail miserably. They are a serious BCS title contender. This game could prove to be a spoiler for them. I might be flipping back and forth between this game and Oregon to whet my appetite for the big game later!
- No. 6 South Carolina at No. 11 Georgia, 4:30 p.m., ESPN. This will be a marquee match-up, with two teams out to prove something. Should provide some good smashmouth football. And lots of defense, with two SEC teams.
- Louisiana-Layfayette at Kansas State, 6:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1. La-La heads to the Little Apple to try and contribute to K State’s plummet to the bottom. Tune in to hate-watch.
- Sam Houston State at No. 7 A&M, 7:00 p.m., ESPN. You know you want to watch. Either you love Johnny you-know-who or you will hate-watch. It’s OK. Plus, the Aggies might be looking ahead to Alabama instead of the game in front of them. Could be good, at least for a bit.
- West Virginia at No. 16 Oklahoma, 7:00 p.m., FOX. WVU heads to Norman. Another hate-watch.
- No. 14 Notre Dame at No. 17 Michigan, 8:00 p.m., ESPN. Another marquee match-up. Should be some good football.
So take your pick, but spend Saturday with your #2s! I know I will.